Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 55


Welcome to Wednesday! I've been working the first shift at the gym I work at, so to say I'm exhausted on this middle of the week day would be an understatement. I haven't slept more than five hours since Saturday. But I have a feeling after today, I'll get on a schedule. Anyway, enough about my sob story, let's get to writing!


Prompt Fifty-five- First Line Re-Writes
We all know how important first lines are. We did this exercise in my writing class and I found it to be very helpful. So now, I'm sharing it with you all! Take the first time of your current project, or just make up a line. Then rewrite it. We filled up the front of back of a lined piece of paper. I'm going to ask for twenty re-writes. GO!

My response...

I wake up to the noise of barking from below.

Red's constant barking wakes me from my dead-like slumber, forcing me down the narrow stairs and out the door into a red-hued disaster-zone in my suburban front yard.

Smoke infiltrates my lungs, waking me in an instant and forcing me to face the red sky, cratered ground, and sound of sirens.

The world is like bad swiss cheese; stamped with holes, smelling like death and destruction and leaving a bad feeling deep in my gut.

I never thought the day would come when I could honestly say I was scared for humanity.

It had been days since I'd seen another living human.

Who would have thought that humans would be taken down so fast?

Sirens wailed in the distance, getting closer by the second, and I fell into a monstrous crater.

A thirty foot crater ate me alive.

My front yard turned into a disaster zone; full of smoke rubble, dark skies, and the biggest addition, a fifty foot black crater that stared at me like it wanted to eat me alive.

Red snuggled into my ribs--a rarity for my fickle best friend--as a loud explosion catapulted into my house, knocking us both towards the full moon.

My body flew towards the red sky, my dog crying beside me and I knew I would die.

I had two boyfriends, both of them killers, both of them survivors, both utterly mine.

We hid in a garbage smelling drain pipe deep below my childhood neighborhood, praying that no one would find us.

I prayed that I'd never see another human for the rest of my life.

The red earth swallowed me whole.

I wanted to be saved- my fear was being saved by the wrong race.

They looked so human; pale face, tall stature, masculine--but I knew it was just a trap, a lure.

The rebel glared at me, baring his sharp fangs, and I ran far away, praying for safety.

I craved the basic necessities in life--water, food, warmth--but I knew I wouldn't find that here in this post-apocalyptic world.

My body ached as I hid in a quiet corner of the woods, footsteps stalking me in the night.

post signature
Write your response in the comments below! Or just tell me what you think of the prompt!

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out some of my other prompts....

Prompt 54- Dialogue
Prompt 53- No Sight
Prompt 52- Myth Retold
Prompt 51- Setting
Prompt 50- Picnic Gone Wrong
Prompt 49- Character Risks
Prompt 48- POV Switch
Prompt 47- First Days
Prompt 46- Photo Booth
Prompt 45- Yearbook
Prompt 44- Fairytale Re-imagined
Prompt 43- Sugar Deficit
Prompt 42- 3 Word Challenge
Prompt 41- Shore Fumed
Prompt 40- Phone Message
Prompt 39- Enemy
Prompt 38- Not The Marrying Kind
Prompt 37- Living Heart
Prompt 36- Computer Attack
Prompt 35- Ruby Angel
Prompt 34- Fired Girl
Prompt 33- Lights Out
Prompt 32- Risk
Prompt 31- Snow White
Prompt 30- Mystery Novel
Prompt 29- Break Up Letter
Prompt 28- Not Really Human
Prompt 27- Drill Time
Prompt 26- Old Flame
Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate
Prompt 24- Hockey Injury
Prompt 23- 10 Year Old Letter
Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker
Prompt 21- Truth Telling
Prompt 20- New Years
Prompt 19- Alone for 7 Days
Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle
Prompt 17- Square One
Prompt 16- Stolen Lights
Prompt 15- Strange Reporting
Prompt 14- Thanksgiving
Prompt 13- Three Minute Free Write
Prompt 12- The Mind
Prompt 11- ABCs
Prompt 10- Mysterious Request
Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?
Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
Prompt 6- Ride Home
Prompt 5- Turned The Key
Prompt 4- Doug
Prompt 3- Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

2 comments:

  1. Cute blog! I like the idea of doing writing prompts every week. I'll have to stop by and try them out a few times! Nice to meet a fellow twenty-something writing. :D

    -Alyssa Auch
    http://alyssaauch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alyssa, thanks! Definitely come try 'em. I've seen your name before in the blog-i-verse and google+, I think we have some mutual connections. It's nice to "officially" meet you!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!