Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Wednesday | Prompt 18



Merry Christmas everyone! I'm so excited to share this day with you all. It's truly the season to be happy and thankful for all that we have. I know that I am. I have some very exciting news... Chris proposed to me on Sunday!!!! I can't even explain how happy I am. Of course, I said yes. :) So this was definitely the best holiday for me... EVER!

I know we're all busy but as I sit here with my family, I figured I'd write a little prompt. Enjoy your holiday, spend time with family and be safe. Thank you all for the continued support. Also, if you'd like a signed bookmark to The Thousand Year Curse or The Curse of Betrayal, message me, email me or comment here.

Spread the love....

Prompt Eighteen- Christmas Miracle
Base a story off the following dialogue.
"Please," I pleaded. "I am about to have a baby. You have to have a room- a closet, anything!"
"Well," the innkeeper slowly replied, "there's a stable out back..." 
It's fairly Christmasy. I figured instead of doing something fun, this prompt could be touching and honest and sincere. The true meaning of Christmas.

Post your response in the comments below, please!

My response...

"Please," I pleaded. "I am about to have a baby. You have to have a room- a closet, anything!"

"Well," the innkeeper slowly replied, "there's a stable out back..."

"I'll take it!" I answered back immediately. I am broke, nine months pregnant and have nowhere to go. The storm is unsurpassable so I can't go home which was where I was headed. This is my life though. I'm used to being screwed over, time and time again.

"You're sure?" The innkeeper asks back, so I nod and follow him out into the numbingly cold night to the barn. The inn is small but it is the first one I passed off the highway. I'm only twenty minutes  from home but I don't want to drive anymore and my legs ache, my back burns from sitting in the car so long. I knew traveling home would be a mistake- not only from the impending storm but the chance that I might run into my ex, who just so happens to also be the father of my baby. But seeing my family overpowered any insecurities I might have so I packed up and headed home.

"Thank you so much." I tell the innkeeper as he hesitantly leaves me alone. It's exactly what you'd imagine a stable to be. There's some sort of animal towards the back of the place, snoring lightly. There are hay bales and random barrels of food strewn about giving the area a cow poop smell. But the innkeeper let me into a room that looks like an office which has a futon and doesn't smell nearly as bad.

I quickly dial my mother from my phone and tell her that I won't be able to make it there tonight. She's mad I pulled and stopped at a random place, but happy the baby and I are safe. Luckily, the storm should pass by Christmas morning, which is tomorrow, and I'll wake up early. I lean back on the make shift bed and let out a long sigh of content.

I rest my palms on my swollen stomach, almost the size of a basketball. I'm due any day now and being stranded here only ignites my nerves. But I practice my deep breathing to calm myself down. Just as I'm about to lay myself sideways, a noise comes from the main stable part, like a door creaking open by the wind.

"Who's in here?" A deep voice rings out, vibrating off the high wood ceilings. I contemplate answering but I don't want to be found. The innkeeper barely spoke english and maybe he was breaking rules by allowing me to sleep here. I don't want to get him into trouble with the owner for helping a distressed pregnant girl. So I stay quiet, my heart hammering our of my chest.

"I'll check it out dad and meet you and mom inside." The oddly familiar voice says. There's no answer so I deduct that he was on the phone. And then in an instant, the door to the office swings open, revealing the one person I was trying to avoid on my way home.

"Jessie?" My name belongs on his tongue. It's true north.

"What are you doing here?" I can't help the walls that spring up inside of me. He left me. And I can't contain the buried anger I still hold onto for him.

"Nice to see you too." He sarcastically drawls, leaning against the door frame- his body overpowering the small frame. He's stronger than a few months ago, his shirt clinging way too tightly to his chest and biceps. The sight of him drives my hormones wild, sending butterflies on a rampage in my gut.

"You didn't answer my question." I tell him, crossing my arms over my chest defensively. I'm too late to realize that my gesture only brings attention to my stomach. He looks down to my hands and notices the large bump. Widening his eyes, he steps towards me in shock but I hold up my hands stopping him.

"What- How- Jessie, when?" He stutters out, his jaw still dropped to the ground. He's only inches from me down, his body visibly trembling.

"It isn't your concern." I look right into his baby blues, making sure he knows nothing. I can't afford him interfering now. He left me and that's the bottom line. I can't get wrapped up in all of that drama now. I'm focusing solely on my baby, end of story. It's not about him anymore.

"Isn't my concern." He mimics me. "Damn-it, J. I know that baby is mine. You better tell me what's going on right now." My heart squeezes like a grapefruit as he breaks down, falling to his knees in front of me. I want to lurk forward and comfort him but I resist.

"It's yours but we're fine. We don't need you so don't worry. You don't have to get involved." I tell him, knowing he at least deserves the truth.

"You're fine?" His eyebrows squint together. "You're sleeping in my barn for crying out loud."

"I chose to stop here! I wouldn't have if I knew this was your dads. I was so worried about the snow I forgot where I was."

"Well thank god you did or else I'd never even know!" He cries out. I don't know what to say back to that. He's right. I wasn't going to tell him but that's only because of the hurt he's caused me. I didn't want him to stick around just because I'm pregnant. That's no way to be with someone. But now that I see the pain I've caused him, I regret my decisions.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you." I apologize. His eyes are tear stained as he wraps his arms around my abdomen, turning his head so his ear is right by the baby. Inside of me, I feel movement, the baby awakening. My heart constricts almost instantly.

"She's moving in there." He looks up at me, waiting for confirmation.

"Yes, he is."

"It's a boy?" His eyes are as wide as globes. I simply nod. "Thank you, thank you. Thank you for telling me. I promise I will fix this. I promise."

"Okay." I try to believe him, wholly. I want to have a family, a real one. I want to believe that Will can fix this. Maybe this can be my miracle. Maybe I can finally swallow my insecurities and let someone help me. I'm tired of holding myself up.

"My little Christmas surprise." He mutters to my stomach and I know I have to take a leap of faith.


Write your response in the comments section below or what you think of this prompt. 

Didn't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out my other prompts...

Prompt 17- Square One

     Prompt 16- Stolen Lights

          Prompt 15- Strange Reporting

               Prompt 14- Thanksgiving 2013

                    Prompt 13-  3 Minute Free Write

                         Prompt 12- The Mind

                              Prompt 11- ABC's

                                   Prompt 10- A Mysterious Request

                                        Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?

                                             Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
                                                  Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
                                                       Prompt 6- Hitching a Ride Home
                                                            Prompt 5- He Turned The Key And Saw
                                                                 Prompt 4- Doug
                                                                      Prompt 3- They Had Nothing To Say
                                                                           Prompt 2- Skydiving Secrets
                                                                                 Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

1 comment:

  1. I was crushed when my lover of three years left to be with another woman. I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help.And i saw a testimony of a spell caster who help a girl called Michelle and i said let me give it a try so i contact him for help and he cast a love spell for me which i use in getting my love back and now i am a happy woman.For what you have done for me,i will not stop to share your goodness to people out there for the good work you are doing.I hope God blesses you as much as you have help me to get my Love back, i am talking about priestandrew91@yahoo.com, he is really a God sent.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!