Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 33

Hey everybody! How are we doing? I'm busy at work but I had to squeeze in today's prompt, so I'm very excited and welcoming a break. I hope you all can join in with me today. How's your writing going? I'm stuck in the Veil, the angel world where Wingless takes place. I love creating worlds. It's tough though. Anyway, onto the prompt!
Prompt Thirty-Three- Lights Out
This is a plot based prompt. Plot: You're at work, finishing up some paperwork. You finish up the last piece and get ready to head home. Just as you reach the office door, the lights shut off. What happens next? 

My response...
As I finish my last report, I glance out my windowed office and notice that everyone else is gone. The rest of the office's lights are dimmed way down. I can faintly hear a vacuum cleaner running from another office. I check my watch and realize that I've missed dinner completely. I quickly save my report and shut my laptop down. The light from the office beside me flickers. Jake must still be working, too. 

I grab my briefcase and decide to see if he wants to grab a late dinner. If he's still stuck here then he probably didn't eat either. I shut and lock my door behind me and knock on Jake's. "You in there?" I question before jiggling the handle.

The door creaks open and Jake peeks out. "You stayed, too?"

"Yeah, I just realized how late it is. Want to grab food?" I ask him.

"Sure," he answers. "Let me shut down and we can head out." I wait, leaning in the door frame while he gathers his things. I step through the door when he meets me there and just as he shuts the door, all the lights turn off at once and we're left in darkness. I scream from the shock of it all when a loud clammer sounds from the hallway. 

"Cassie, where are you?" Jake asks, yelling at me. I reach for him as I follow his voice, and find his hand. I refuse to let go now that I have it. "Stay with me," he directs me. His voice is serious and loud since noises refuse to stop.

"What's going on?" I ask, covering my head with one arm. Bangs and loud blasts sound from every which way. For the first time in my life, I'm glad I work on a lower level of the office. I cling to Jake as my safety and let him hold me. Something falls beside us and I jump when something hard grazes my back. I'm not sure what's going on but it sounds like an earthquake, only the ground isn't really moving. Plus despite it being only eight at night, it's pitch black. And in New York City, I don't think this has ever happened. 

"We have to get out of here," Jake says, pulling me around in the pitch black room. "Thank god," he mutters fumbling with something in his hand not holding me. "My phone's light works. Come on, Cassie." With Jake's hand in mine, we follow the minuscule light from his iPhone around the office. Luckily, we're familiar with the furniture.

We make it out of our small office and into the hallway that connects us with the others. I think the elevator is not a good idea, and Jake must agree, because we go straight for the stairs. Luckily, in the stairwell the emergency lights are barely on, but enough that I can see by myself through it's yellowish flicker.

Jake slams the stairwell door shut behind us and leans against it, panting. "Are you okay?" He looks to me. His hands come to my face and he stares at me, searching. I nod because I don't think I can form words. Our moment of silence is ruined by a loud scream or moan or a mixture of the two that rips through the building. I've never heard anything like it and it chills me to the core.

"What is happening, Jake?" I know it can't be just an earthquake. I've lived through those before and it doesn't feel like this. Maybe we're being invaded and it's bombs going off. I don't know though because those should emit light. 

"I have no fucking idea," he answers me.

"Where are we going to go?" I ask him next. I start to pace in the small square box we're on. My mind is raging with questions and concerns about our situation. I have no idea what the hell to do. I have no idea where to go. I have no idea what is happening to us. All I know is I'm scared.

"I think we have two options. We can stay here or head to one of our houses. Yours is probably best because it's smaller, lower and closer. What do you want to do?" he asks me. 

"I guess my house. I'm just scared to go out there," I admit to him, running my hand through my disheveled hair.

"We're in this together. I won't leave you, I swear. We should go, though. I have a weird feeling," Jake says and I nod. He takes my hand in his and we take the stairs two at a time, descending towards ground level. The closer we get, the louder the bangs get and my heart starts picking up--not just from running, either.

Jake asks if I'm ready and I nod. He pushes open the door and what I see is almost indescribable. The ground is jagged, different pieces of asphalt shooting up. There are house sized potholes in the ground, eating people up. On top of that buildings are falling down, pancaking people.

The noise is unbelievable. There are screams and bangs and sirens shooting off. Cries and voices--to many to discern where they're coming from. I must gasp or cry out because Jake pulls me into him so my face is nuzzled into his shoulder.

"We have to keep moving," he says and despite my horror and fear, I know he's right. I try to focus on each paver in front of me and take one step at a time but when someone close by yells, I can't help but look. Blood is everywhere, spilling into the streets. I have to fight back bile. 

Luckily, my apartment is only three blocks away and with our feet moving as fast as we can, we make it in under ten minutes. I jimmy the key from out of my pocket and unlock my door. My golden retriever runs to greet us, wagging his tail, oblivious to the mayhem ensuing outside. 

Jake makes quick work of moving around the house. He bolts the door shut and moves from window to window, shutting the blinds and locking them too. By the time he's finished, I've sat on the sofa with Goldie's head on my lap in the dark. 

Jake comes over with two bottles of water. He offers me one and I take it, drinking a long slug to hydrate myself. I lean back and Jake's arm wraps around me. 

"Now what?" I ask him.

"I guess we stay here and wait," he says, shrugging his muscular shoulders. 

"Don't you have anyone you want to call or see or something?"

"No," he answers, and I don't push. I sit back and lean on Jake. Goldie licks my hand since I've stopped petting her and Jake laughs under his breath. I don't think we really have a choice of what to do. And I know for certain I'm not going out in that hellhole again. 

post signature
Write your response in the comments section below or what you think of this prompt. 

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out my other prompts...

     Prompt 32- Risk

          Prompt 31- Snow White

               Prompt 30- Mystery Novel

                    Prompt 29- Break up Letter

                        Prompt 28- Not Really Human

                              Prompt 27- Drill Time

                                   Prompt 26- Old Flame

                                   Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate

                              Prompt 24- Hockey Injury

                         Prompt 23- Ten Year Old Letter

                    Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker

               Prompt 21- Truth Telling

          Prompt 20- Best New Years Ever

     Prompt 19- Alone for Seven Days

Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle

Prompt 17- Square One

     Prompt 16- Stolen Lights

          Prompt 15- Strange Reporting

               Prompt 14- Thanksgiving 2013

                    Prompt 13-  3 Minute Free Write

                         Prompt 12- The Mind

                              Prompt 11- ABC's

                                   Prompt 10- A Mysterious Request

                                   Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?

                              Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
                         Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
                    Prompt 6- Hitching a Ride Home
               Prompt 5- He Turned The Key And Saw
          Prompt 4- Doug
     Prompt 3- They Had Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving Secrets
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!