Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 62



Happy middle of the week, peep! Not going to lie, I'm having some serious sleeping issues. I work early, but I was so used to being up and at 'em early. After the holiday breaks and what not, I'm STILL struggling with my mornings. UGH. Let me tell you, this sucks. I've had to nap almost every day, live off coffee. I should write a book about it. HAHA. Just kidding. Let's prompt!!


Prompt Sixty-Two- Excuses

I was inspired for this one from a group I belong to on Scribophile. PS. It's my new favorite thing and I've met the most wonderful people in the entire writing community. Really, though. Anyway, the prompt! You're a boss and someone under you made a mistake; but you believe in their talent. Come up with an excuse/cover-up to protect your employee and write a scene using it.

My response...

Luckily, my boss only wanted to have a conference call to discuss the mistake James made. I think I would have cracked under Big Nose Barry's scrutinizing glares. The man intimidated me to no end, but I was learned not to take shit from anyone. 

"We're connected," his voice rang out from the computer. I couldn't see him, it was just a voice call, but there was a chat box in the corner that could be set to personal and private and each person on the call's voice bar. 

Immediately, I messaged the manager of another branch. 

Lindhardt: I'm about to get reamed. 
Paulito: What happened?
Lindhardt: Employee fucked up a major account. We lost thousands.
Paulito: Shit. That's rough. Need me to say anything?

"We all here? Sign on," Barry snapped. I could just imagine him biting his stubby fingernails, spitting the cuticle to the side. He was repulsive, but he was fucking good at this job. Nobody could deny that. But he was also tough. 

"Lindhardt here," I said quietly. Maybe he'd forget about me. Everyone else said their names.

"We need to talk, Rayna. What happened with James on the McMullen sale?"

"Well..." I stuttered which was something I can't say I'd ever done before. "James' brother died. He had to fly out to a funeral in Japan, so I was left handling his accounts since I didn't trust any of the other managers. I didn't call the rep for McMullen back and they found someone else."

"So, it's your fault that we're out hundreds of thousands from one of our largest clients?" 

"Yes," I muttered.

"Everyone else, click out. I'll phone when I need you back in." His voice was so hard it felt like knives slicing your skin. 

Paulito: Good luck.

"We have to let you go, Rayna. This was huge. I can't even cover for you. I know you're a great worker, you're intelligent. But corporate is breathing down my neck. Someone has to take the heat. It's your or James."

"Fine. It's me. James needs this job more than me."

"You're strong. I'm sorry we couldn't make this work." 

post signature
Write your response in the comments below! Or just tell me what you think of the prompt!

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out some of my other prompts....

Prompt 61- 9 Reasons
Prompt 60- Fake Blurb
Prompt 59- Little Box
Prompt 58- Word Search
Prompt 57- Dialogue 2.0
Prompt 56- Oracle's Den
Prompt 55- First Line Re-Write
Prompt 54- Dialogue
Prompt 53- No Sight
Prompt 52- Myth Retold
Prompt 51- Setting
Prompt 50- Picnic Gone Wrong
Prompt 49- Character Risks
Prompt 48- POV Switch
Prompt 47- First Days
Prompt 46- Photo Booth
Prompt 45- Yearbook
Prompt 44- Fairytale Re-imagined
Prompt 43- Sugar Deficit
Prompt 42- 3 Word Challenge
Prompt 41- Shore Fumed
Prompt 40- Phone Message
Prompt 39- Enemy
Prompt 38- Not The Marrying Kind
Prompt 37- Living Heart
Prompt 36- Computer Attack
Prompt 35- Ruby Angel
Prompt 34- Fired Girl
Prompt 33- Lights Out
Prompt 32- Risk
Prompt 31- Snow White
Prompt 30- Mystery Novel
Prompt 29- Break Up Letter
Prompt 28- Not Really Human
Prompt 27- Drill Time
Prompt 26- Old Flame
Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate
Prompt 24- Hockey Injury
Prompt 23- 10 Year Old Letter
Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker
Prompt 21- Truth Telling
Prompt 20- New Years
Prompt 19- Alone for 7 Days
Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle
Prompt 17- Square One
Prompt 16- Stolen Lights
Prompt 15- Strange Reporting
Prompt 14- Thanksgiving
Prompt 13- Three Minute Free Write
Prompt 12- The Mind
Prompt 11- ABCs
Prompt 10- Mysterious Request
Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?
Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
Prompt 6- Ride Home
Prompt 5- Turned The Key
Prompt 4- Doug
Prompt 3- Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!