Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

That Moment When...

As a writer I strive to make the reader feel what I want. I love it when I am reading a book and get those uneasy butterflies in my stomach. I love it when a first kiss happens and truly impacts your emotions. I love feeling what the characters do. I love when heartbreak happens and I cry because I feel so bad for whoever it is.

When I write I try to invoke these emotions as much as possible. I think when we read books we try and escape. Speaking from experience, I love to read because books are so much better than my life. Don't get me wrong, I have a great life. I have people who love me and I am truly happy. But there is nothing like a great romance novel. You just can't beat it!

Sometimes I am actually embarassed when I read at work. I work at a gym so during lunchtime it is very quiet. I use this time to edit but recently I have been reading a lot. I actually feel the physical emotions when reading. Sometimes I'll be sitting and suddenly blush. Now a bystander would think I was crazy. How is it that reading a book can make us feel so much! There's nothing like it.

I try to make my characters as real as possible. I think feeling emotions directly corresponds with our connection with the people. If a character is boring or maybe too far fetched, they are unrelateable. How can we feel sorry for someone we don't understand. That's why making a character who is relateable is so important.

I also think dialog plays a huge factor in it. I know how I feel when I wait for a text message from my boyfriend first thing in the morning. I know a normal conversation between us, and we are very much in love. When a character is talking or texting to their loved one in the story it has to be realistic. People don't just come out and say I love you. No, it has to build. You have to take steps.
Photo from Booksdirect@tumblr
I have to go but I will continue this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!