After completing the book, I stowed it away for a full week. Even though I wanted to read it badly, I refused myself. I know that after finishing I needed a break from it. My mind needed a rest and frankly a vacation. After that excruciating week was up I opened up my computer and read it through completely. During this stage, I fixed all the blatant grammar issues. I fixed the tenses of the words if they were inaccurate. I fixed anything that I saw really. I just read through the copy on my computer and fixed whatever I saw.
After that was done, I printed out the full manuscript. I wanted to put it away for another week but I couldn't resist after day five. What can I say, I am weak! Then I started on page one and read it out loud. I circled areas that sounded wrong. I fixed words that seemed off. I added in some scenes where I thought they fit. By the end of this round, the pages were completely marked up. I don't think I had a single blank page.
With my marked up manuscript, I went back into the computer and fixed it all with my edits. I found this technique really useful because even though I was just copying from this piece of paper, it required me to read again. Really, I was killing two birds with one stone. I was fixing the errors I already caught and reading through it again.
So.... After about two weeks away, I printed out manuscript number two. So here I am now, just finishing up this edit. I have actually found a lot of stuff I didn't see before. I've even found some spacing errors. I was astonished that I missed them the first time. I am almost done with this one.