Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Writing Exercises | Mad Libs




It's Wednesday again! Today is a rainy, yucky day so I thought I'd lighten it up with a fun exercise. Who doesn't love some Mad Libs. If you don't know Mad Libs are stories that are created by you filling in random adjectives, adverbs, nouns and verbs. You can think up any of them and then they're put into a story.

Mad Libs are extremely fun but they also use your imagination. You have to think up creative adjectives. These are also helpful because it strengthens your knowledge of grammar. You need to know adverbs, verbs, ly adjectives and other aspects. I've put two examples down here but you can pick up a book anywhere.

If you have kids, definitely introduce them to Mad Libs. It helps children with vocabulary and learning grammar. After you've finished it's also really fun to read these silly stories. Your kids are learning and having fun at the same time.



The Plumber's Visit
By: Taylor Lavati
Person In Room: 
Person In Room: 
Adverb: 
Noun: 
Noun: 
Adjective: 
Noun: 
Liquid: 
Noun: 
Exclamation: 
Adjective: 
Noun: 
Noun: 
Plural Noun: 
Noun:
Here's how it turned out...
A dramatic scene to be played by Linda and Sarah.
CUSTOMER: Are you the plumber I sent for?
PLUMBER: Yes, Madam. I came over as fast as I could. Is there something wrong with your phone?
CUSTOMER: No, it's my coffee. The smart thing is all stopped up.
PLUMBER: Have you tried cleaning it with a table?
CUSTOMER: Yes, but there was too much mountain dew in the soap.
PLUMBER: stop! This looks like it's going to be a beautiful job!
CUSTOMER: Do you think I'll need a new car?
PLUMBER: Well, if your rock is cracked, I'll have to tighten up your keys.
CUSTOMER: All right. But just make sure you don't scratch my purse.

Here's another one!
Advice to Prospective Parents
By: Roger Price & Leonard Stern

Adjective: 
Adjective: 
Noun: 
Noun: 
Noun: 
Adjective: 
Noun: 
Adjective: 
Plural Noun: 
Number: 
Plural Noun: 
Adverb: 
Noun: 
Exclamation: 
Noun: 

Here's how it turned out for me...
Any lovely-blooded American kid likes recess better than dreary in a classroom. Here are some things to do at recess.1. Start a game of "touch" stapler-ball.2. Put a/an bed in someone's lunch box.3. Challenge the school bully to a candlecontest.4. Start a/an colorful fight in the school paper.5. Report hard to the principal for seeds in the 3.6. Choose up sides and have a/an packets-painting tournament.7. Start a strike against the school demanding more slow and shorter car.8. Collect money from all the students and buy your favorite wait teacher a new desk.


4 comments:

  1. Great writing prompts, I'll have to try a version of this with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mad libs all the time with my students and they love it. Honest to god, they think they're the funniest things ever. Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. Love mad libs! They're always so much fun! By the way, my writer is broken. I tried to clean her with a high heel, but there was too much petroleum in the tulip...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!