Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Where to get Inspiration

I'm always getting this question when asked about what I'm writing. What inspired you to write this book? It's a pretty simple question. Most people answer it with something like, I saw a movie or read a book. I don't think it's that simple. One significant thing may spiral into a book idea but it's unlikely. For me, many things happen.

I have to admit most of my inspiration comes from watching. I love to people watch. My boyfriend and I are long distance, I've been lending him my car so that we can see each other more often. He's joining the armed services so he doesn't have car. Being car-less has actually been really positive for me.

I find myself walking to and from work. I know it sounds awful but I've come to love it. I leave my house around 8 in the morning to get to work at 9. The world is a beautiful place. I plug my head phones in and just breathe. It's quite therapeutic. I love looking at houses and imagining who lives in there.

I swear from the time I've started walking I've had four different book ideas pop into my head. They're all pretty good too. I come up with more dynamic characters as I walk, imagining what Ryder or another character would be doing. The quiet also gives me time to think.

This morning I was walking to work and thought of a great scene that would really add to, The Thousand Year Curse. Today when I got to work, I quickly wrote it down and I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it. It's helping improve my writing. It gives me that time to myself to think and be alone.

I find that watching people is a huge inspiration. I see this one woman at Dunkin Donuts almost every single morning. I don't know her but she fascinates me. She sits alone, usually with a pile of papers in front of her. She's probably mid thirties but dresses like she's sixty. She keeps to herself. She has these habits that are so interesting to me. I would love to create a character with similarities- but more depth. Really get to know what makes her tick.

I think we can get inspiration any where. However, I do think that watching a movie or reading a book isn't the best spot. Usually those ideas tend to be too similar. You don't want to copy an idea. Your imagination should come up with something completely its own. Authors do inspire me though. I like how certain people write and try to use their techniques as my own.



Later guys!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing! I also get lots of ideas while out walking, usually when I take my dog and daughter along the canal through our town. I also get inspiration as a passenger in the car. I gaze out of the window and wonder about other travelers and people I see in passing. The world is certainly a fascinating place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny that you say in the car. Today I was in the passenger seat and had a great idea just pop into my head.

      Delete
  2. I loved the post, Taylor!

    I think a lot of non-writers (and some new ones) are under the impression that fully fleshed-out ideas just pop into our heads. I'm sure that happens for some of us, some of the time. But I think what happens usually is exactly what you describe: you observe your surroundings. Eventually multiple threads of thought will come together sparking an idea that can carry the weight of an entire story.

    I wrote an article a while back about the process I use, and your process reminded me of it. I'd like to share it with you.

    How to Generate Story Ideas Through Observation

    I've added a link to your article in mine. I think my readers would find it interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!