Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 9, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop

First and foremost, I want to thank +Krista Quintana for inviting me to join in on this hop. I met Krista online and we swapped some posts. I was so excited when I saw she wanted me to join in! Here's her blog, Color Coordinated

Krista's Bio:

I am a twenty-something female finally focusing on her dream of writing.  I’ve written stories since kindergarten, but it’s been only recently that I’ve decided to pursue this seriously.  I have several hobbies that I’ve picked up, including piano, singing, coloring, cake making and spending time with the hubby.  Professionally, I am a nurse, a job that is more fun than work! 

The bunnies will lead us to the HOP...

What am I working on?

I have a lot going on right now. My first priority is A Reliant Love. I'm reading through it and editing. I owe my editor my last draft and then it's DONE and I will publish it. I'm hoping to get that for May 26 (the day before my Birthday). Then I'm working on Wingless. It's written, but still in the beginning stages. So I'd like to get a final draft of that done so I can send it to my editor. Lastly, I'm working on the outline and name for The Curses #3. I really want to get that novel out this summer and to be honest, I'm way behind! I blame it on the wedding. 


How does my work differ from others of its genre?

My books are all different because of my voice. When I sit down to write, I don't just start. I really dive into the mind of the character I'm writing and try to become them. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I write these character sheets and write the most random things about characters. For example, when I started The Thousand Year Curse, I decided that Ryder was going to love Golden Retrievers. This fact was never brought up in the book, BUT I think it translated because I knew it in the back of my mind. She gravitated towards people like Junior, who had qualities one would think a Golden would have, such as loyalty, compassion, but also fun. I believe little quirks that I have make my writing stronger, but also differentiate it from any other author's work.

Why do I write what I do?

Why does anyone do what they do? Firstly, I've fallen in love with the craft of writing. I have to be honest, and if you know me, you know that I was never planning to become a writer. I had a dream and I was so amazed by the length and quality that I wrote it down. The dream became a novel within a week. I haven't done anything with the dream, but I'll cherish it because it turned me on to the idea of writing and gave me the courage to do go through with it. After that dream, more and more ideas blossomed and I wrote. I don't like to think that I write only one genre. I feel that at this moment in my life, I write fantasy and romance because that's what I like right now. But I never want to limit myself. If an idea were to come from a completely different genre, I'd still give it a go. But mostly, I love writing; the creativity of it, the way it makes me feel to start and finish a book, and the fact that I'm constantly amazed my brain concocts these ideas.

How does my writing process work? 

Most of my stories come in a dream. After the dream or thought, I write it down and then let it go. But I never forget it. It's always in the back of my mind. Of course, there's always an exception. Wingless, for example, needed to be written right that moment and it was. But mostly, I try to let the idea percolate. 
Then, when I'm ready, I'll look at what I've written and try to map out characters. I'll do some research and reflect on where I'd like it to go. Sometimes, I'll just start writing, others I'll write an outline. It all depends on the novel. My fantasy books I like to make a map and extensively write about the world. World building is important to me. But for romance, I just write and see where the characters take me.

 I use Scrivener to write my novels in and I LOVE IT.

That's actually my work. There's not even black in there, which was the original writing color. I go hard with Scrivener, but it's awesome.

The first draft usually takes me about 3-4 weeks to fully write. Then I dive back in and read it from start to finish, adding or deleting what I think the novel needs. That's the easy part. It's the editing that I hate, but it must be done. After editing as much as I can/want, I hand it off to my editor. 
She goes through it and then I get it back. I read what she's said, fix what needs to be fixed. Then I print it. Then I read it. When my changes and fixes have been made, it goes back to my editor for the last time. Then when I fix her changes, we have a book!
Of course, this usually ends up being different depending on the novel. And I'm sure it will change as I change, but right now, that's what going on with my novels and how my writing process works.
 
From a Facebook group I belong to for Indie authors who write Young Adult Fantasy, I found TWO people who want to participate in the blog hop... Please, check them out! I'll link to their posts soon. 

+Beth Barany 
+Elliot Page 
post signature

1 comment:

Tell me what you think!